Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Job Description

As a work at home mom, I often struggle with my job description. I get asked what my job is all the time and I always have a hard time nailing it down. If I have a hard time describing what I do, obviously others stuffle with it. It frustrates me that at home moms are given such grief & the third degree when we tell people we stay at home. It especially kills me when people are more impressed by my job than they are that I raise my child. Isn't raising children the most important job there is? Why isn't it treated as such?


I think us moms need to reclaim our job description. Lately, I have taken to calling myself a stay at home feminist. It's a label that works for me and I love the shocked reaction people have when I describe myself this way. Especially because I am in my twenties and there aren't too many twenty-somethings moms who would describe themselves in this way. I'd love other people's suggestions for a job description. What do other at home moms like to call themselves?

4 comments:

MommyWithAttitude said...

I'm not a work at home mom (yet! I'm working on that!), and I don't care what people think so I usually say, "I watch soaps and eat bonbons." Then everyone laughs and we can move on to something that isn't such a stupid question.

Feminist Mom said...

I love that line, what a great comeback!

MaMa-Feminista said...

I am currently finishing a masters thesis, teaching at a local university, and running a business all while being a mommy so... I do all my work from home except for the grocery shopping of course. I usually respond to the...what do you do, question with, "oh I have four jobs; I'm a graduate student, teacher, business owner, and a mom." The facial expressions from this comment are usually ones of confusion as people around here don't hear that very often. I think they sometimes think I'm kidding.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.