Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Why I endorse Hillary Clinton

There has been much written about progressives choices in the 2008 Democratic primary, and I would like to add my two cents. I will be voting for Hillary Clinton in the California primary on February 5th. I am thrilled our state moved up our primary to this early date, because it allows voters such as myself to vote for candidates before the field is dramatically narrowed. Although she is far from perfect, much like the rest of us, I have been in admiration of Hillary Clinton for many years now and here are the reasons why I will be voting for her:

1) Most importantly, for the first time there is a viable female pro-choice candidate who has a very good chance at winning not only the nomination, but the general election as well. I relish the chance to be able to tell my grandchildren, who no doubt will be in shock it took so long for a woman to become President, that I voted for her.

2) The only other candidate I would even think about voting for is Barak Obama. While he is a great addition to a party that has been lagging in idealist, exciting candidates, he is far too inexperienced. His claim that he was against the war in Iraq from the beginning does not impress me, even though I am an anti-war voter. It is easy to say you are against the war when you are not in a position to respond to constitutents about your vote. Although Hillary did not do the right thing in giving President Bush the authorization to use force in Iraq, it was a much tougher decision for her as a sitting Senator and I understand that. Obama was not in the Senate at the time, therefore his opinion at the time does not have the same meaning. He has only served a few years as a Senator and has yet to do anything impressive while in office, so he has not paid his dues for the presidency. That being said, I think he would be an excellent Vice President and I hope Hillary picks him if she wins the nomination, although I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

To learn more about Hillary Clinton, visit her website: www.hillaryclinton.com

No comments: